Road to Slainte

Monday, December 31, 2007

Diabolical Duo

“There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared: Twins.”



--- Josh Billings



Scenario 1: “I have always had painful periods; but my mom was very understanding, and bad periods are common in my family. My periods only really put me down for a couple of days a month; and I could deal with that. Then I started getting bladder infections, or so we thought. They didn’t respond well to antibiotics, and very soon I felt like I had constant lower abdominal pain. I was urinating 20-30 times a day, waking up several times a night, and it seemed to get much worse with my period. Finally, I was referred to an urologist that diagnosed me with interstitial cystitis. He started me on rescue instillations, elmiron, and pelvic floor therapy. I feel sooo much better. I still have flares around the time of menstruation, and my periods are still very painful, but my bladder is under control most of the time.”



Scenario 2: “I don’t remember having really bad menstrual cramps when I was younger, but by the time I was in my mid twenties, I began having a lot of lower abdominal pain, which worsened after ovulation every month. I began having overactive bladder symptoms, and occasional bladder pain, particularly if I didn’t make it to the bathroom on time. My gynecologist thought I might have endometriosis, so we did a laproscopy. There were multiple lesions, which were removed, and my symptoms all but disappeared. 2 years later, my symptoms returned, and we did the same thing, this time it didn’t seem to work as well. I got some improvement, but I am still having pain, and for some reason there are more bladder symptoms than before.”



These are pretty common scenarios, and both of these found progressive doctors that were able to hone in on the dominate symptoms and quickly find a diagnosis and get these women some relief. Sadly, in both cases the diagnostic process ended too quickly. I am constantly reminding people that quality medical care requires a team approach, and as patients we must be the captain of our team. Endometriosis and Interstitial Cystitis frequently occur at the same time in the same women. There are many articles on the web that discuss the concurrence of these two conditions; prevalence is listed as high as 80-90% in some articles. That means that the majority of my IC patients are only being treated for half the problem, and many endometriosis patients have not received the urological work-up they need. Symptoms are very similar, so treatment for one often relieves symptoms significantly enough that we feel pretty confidant that we “got it.” If symptoms persist, ask your doctor about more diagnosis.



If you are lucky and your doctor is aware of the comorbidity of these conditions, she may be using the “chicken or the egg” approach and trying to get symptoms of one condition under control before tackling the other. If this is the case, great! But, make sure that communication is open, and that your lesser symptoms are not being ignored. If you are seeing a gynecologist for endometriosis, ask for an urology consult. If you are seeing an urologist for IC, ask your gynecologist about endometriosis. You may be one of the 20% of patients that has only one of these conditions to worry about, but it would be best to know for sure.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home